In November 26, 1996, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center (MAFIC) was founded. It always dedicate to build sustainable animal nutrition and feeding systems based on researching, education and practicing.
Along with the development of MAFIC, in June 2000, MAFIC associating with Institution of Feed Research of Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences was approved by the Ministry of science and technology of the People's Republic of China to construct the National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center, which the National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center passed the acceptance in November 2004. In November 2003, MAFIC was approved by the Ministry of agriculture to construct the Ministry of Agriculture Feed potency and safety Supervision and Inspection Center (Beijing), which obtained the National Measurement Authentication and the Ministry of Agriculture Organization Authentication in October 2004.
Functions: fundamental research, feed inspection technology research, Application technology development and marketing, advanced education and training of talents, construction and promotion of feedstuff database and information platform.
Vision: An internationally acclaimed resource center of excellence, contributing to an environmentally and economically sustainable feed industry in China.
Mission: By integrating research, production and education, we will develop new technologies, products and services; provide skill-based training opportunities; and develop world-class scientists for the China feed industry.
Philosophy: Honesty, Cooperation, Foresight, Efficiency, Excellence and Innovation
Dr.LI Defa, expert of animal nutrition and feed science, professor of animal science and Technology College of China Agricultural University, graduated from the department of animal husbandry of former Beijing Agricultural University in 1978, received a Ph. D from Kansas State University in 1989, and won the honor of academician of Chinese Academy of engineering in 2013.
Dr. LI Defa focus on not only fundamental theory research but also application technology and development for high efficient utilization of feed resources. He constructed the nutritional value database of Chinese feedstuff for pigs; established the dynamic nutrient prediction model for raw feedstuff; established the first nutrition dynamic model for the pig in China, as well as presided over the “pig feeding standards” (2004 version) revising, which made important contribution to the sustainable development of Chinese animal nutrition industry and feed industry.
Dr. LI Defa published 205 scientific research papers; won the national scientific and technological progress 2nd class reword twice; innovated 12 national invention patents; amended 17 national or industry standards. 143 graduate students and post-doctoral students were supervised by Dr. LI Defa, 2 doctoral students won the national top 100 excellent doctoral dissertation.
Emphasizing the construction of a competent and interdisciplinary researching team, MAFIC successively inducted talents of multiple areas including: molecular biology, animal physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, immunology, microbiology and analytical chemistry, etc. At present, the MAFIC research team consist of 1 academician, 7 professors, 6 associate professors , 1 senior experimentalist, 2 senior livestock engineers, 2 lecturers , and 7 research Assistants.
Prof LI Defa Nutrition Values of Feedstuff Database firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof Qiao Shiyan Nutritional requirements and metabolism email@example.com
Prof Wang Fenglai Nutrition Values of Feedstuff Database firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof Piao Xiangshu Nutrition Values of Feedstuff Database email@example.com
Prof Zhang Liying Feed quality & safety firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof Gong Limin Feed quality & safety email@example.com
Prof Yin Jingdong Nutrition and meat quality firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof WangJunjun Nutritionandreproduction email@example.com
Dr. Lu Wenqing Associate professor Bio-feeding and feed additives firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Ma Yongxi Associate professor Feed processing technology email@example.com
Dr. Cao Yunhe Associate professor Bio-feeding and feed additives firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. He Pingli Associate professor Anti-nutritional factors and medicine residues email@example.com
Dr. Ma Xi Associate professor Nutritional requirements and metabolism firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Dong Bing Associate professor Nutrition and meat quality email@example.com
Dr. Chen Yiqiang lecturer Feed quality & safety firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Zeng Xiangfang lecturer Nutritional requirements and metabolism email@example.com
1. Nutrition Values of Feedstuff Database: Systematically evaluating the material of feedstuff for swine，Inquiring the situation of variation in feeding materials in China, Studying the inherent laws of variation of the feeding effective constituent( digestible energy, metabolism energy, net energy, etc.), constructing the dynamic database for effective constituent of swine feeding materials in China, and giving technical support for the instant examination and creating formulas.
2. Nutritional requirements and metabolism: studying the ingesting, digestion, absorbing, metabolism and accumulation of multiple nutrients in swine, and how the physiological features and environmental conditions impacts the nutritional requirements, supporting to achieve the establishing of a dynamic and refined swine feeding standard for different rearing targets.
3. Nutrition and reproduction: target to maximize the reproductive of breeding pigs, we discuss the relationship between the nutrition and reproduction in full regard of different breeds, physiological stages, and variate environments. Ascertaining the nutritional requirements of breeding pigs through the techniques combining genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, immunology, and the traditional researching methods.
4. Nutrition and meat quality: based on the interaction between nutrition and genetics in the fine meat production, we research the genetic, physiological and metabolic mechanism in the high quality pork using the modern biological techniques, providing theoretical basis and direction for high quality meat production.
5. Bio-feeding and feed additives: devoted to innovating safe, effective, and green-going biologic feed and biologic feed additives, our research emphasis includes the gene selection of new feeding enzymes, molecular improvement, and efficient secretion express systems; and the strain selection of new feeding bacteria, fermentation technology and application researches.
6. Feed processing technology: Combining feedstuff processing and animal nutrition, we study and improve the processing equipment and technique to increase the feed convention ratio and feed safety. Our research mainly includes the online and instant readjustment of feed recipes, product quality (moisture content, effective nutrition content, etc.) stabilization control, regulating different digestive sites through feed processing, efficient utility of high-fiber and/or high-starch materials, advanced equipment and technique of feed processing, etc.
7. Anti-nutritional factors and medicine residues: fully take the advantage of interdisciplinarity, researching and developing rapid detection technique of sensitiveness, accuracy, and high-flux against the majority of anti-nutritional factors, forbidden additives, fungal toxins, pathogenic microbes, heavy metal residues, and illicit medicine remains. So that the health and welfare of swine, as long as the supervision on pig feedstuff could get remarkable technical supports.
8. Feed quality & safety: by the means of advanced analyzing equipment, biological techniques and the animal modeling, our researches locate the detecting techniques of key sectors and factors impacting the feed quality, and develop rapid test methods. Also we study the effectiveness and safety assessing of feed and feed additives, technically supports the feed quality control and risk evaluation system.
Important research projects in recent years
1. The National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program):The mechanism and nutrition regulation of muscle fiber development and muscle fat deposition of swine
2. Key project of National Natural Foundation of China：Regulation effect of Lactobacillus.on intestinal mucosal barrier function of neonatal piglets and its mechanism study
3. Special Fund for Agro-scientific Research in the Public Interest: standardization and application for feed nutritional value evaluation and livestock feeding
4. Special Fund for Agro-scientific Research in the Public Interest: Key research and demonstration for antibiotic substitute in feed
5. National Key Technology Research and Development Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China: The research and demonstration for study on safety and high efficiency feed additive
6. National Key Technology Research and Development Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China: Novel enzyme innovation and application for feed industry
MAFIC established the standard of nutritional value evaluation for pigs in China as well as presided over the revision of swine
feeding standard version 2004. Thus, it provide technical guidance for high quality and efficient pig feed production.
With open and interdisciplinary mind, MAFIC explored the integration of nutrition, breed, immune, environment and other related fields, which achieved a major breakthrough in the nutritional regulation of pig farming as well as the exploration of the sustainable development for swine production industry.
The mechanism study of soybean anti-nutrition factors on pigs and its elimination technology improved the utilization efficiency of soybean and its by-products.
Since 2005, MAFIC published 11 articles on the Journal of Nutrition; 9articles on the Journal of Animal Science; and in total published more than 300 SCI articles. In the past five years, MAFIC published 5articles on outstanding journals (impact factors>5.0)in the field of biology, such as Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, Biochemical Journal, Journal of Proteome Research, Analytical Chemistry.
MAFIC obtained 14 authorized patents, 6 patents of applications invention and 21 certificated progresses.
The textbooks of pig nutrition, feed processing technology, advanced feed analysis technology and feed analysis and feed quality inspection technology, those are used in China, were edited and published by MAFIC.
2nd Prize of The National Science and Technology Progress Award in 2002 for “the key technology research and demonstration of high quality and high efficiency feed industry for swine”
2nd Prize of The National Science and Technology Progress Award in 2008 for "The research and demonstration of the nutrition control and regulation technology research and demonstration for healthy swine farming”
1st Prize of The Science and Technology Progress Award in Jilin province in 2009 for “The research on the mechanism of the anti-nutrition factors in soybean and its elimination technology"
Courses "pig nutrition", "animal science research progress", "advanced feed analysis technology", "feed manufacturing process and technology," "animal products’ quality and safety inspection", are available for undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students.
MAFIC pay fully attention to the students development, always adhering to the training quality. 105 PhD students and 117 master students have graduated from MAFIC as far, while 30 PhD students and 37 master students are undergoing their training program presently. There were 2 doctoral theses that were honored “national outstanding doctoral thesis”; 1 doctoral thesis that was honored “Beijing outstanding doctoral thesis”; 7 theses were honored “Outstanding thesis of Chinese association of animal science and veterinary medicine”, 12 theses were honored “Excellent thesis of CAU for postgraduate and doctoral students".
In order to meet the needs of scientific research and educational training, MAFIC has been increasing the input on scientific research facilities and accelerating the construction of animal experiments base. With first-class international equipment and the Fengning experiments base (in Hebei province) where is a 600 sows based experiments farm, MAFIC formed a perfect interactive system for research, technology development, production and education.
1. Feed preparation and animal experiments base
2. Digestion and metabolism research platform
3. Laboratory analysis platform
Communication and Cooperation
MAFIC is the only project that the World Bank invested for China feed project. As worldwide window of Chinese feed industry, MAFIC is willing to build a platform for academic exchanges and cooperation with domestic and foreign counterparts in "production, learning, research and development" to develop animal nutrition and feed processing, to improve the livestock industry.
Address: 2nd YuanMingYuan XiLu, Beijing, China